Nasi jagung which literally translate as Corn Rice …. is a favourite rice dish among the Malays and which are served usually during special occasions such as weddings, birthdays, thanksgiving day etc.
I usually cook this once a year and so since Hari Raya Haji will be upon us soon in October, I thought it’s best to share the recipe over this blog as a referral not just by me but by my family members and online community.
Basmati rice – 1 kg
Evaporated milk – 1 can plus add enough water till the measurement is the same as the measurement for the rice (sama sukatan dgn beras)
Coriander leaves – 2-3 stalks (chop)
Screwpine leaves – 2-3 stalks (tie-up)
1 can of whole corn kernel
Salt to taste
Ingredients for sauteing (A)
1 big onion – sliced thinkly
1 inch Cinnamon stick
2 Anise star
2 clove spice
2 tbsp of Planta (or butter)
1/2 cup of corn oil
Ingredients to be blended together (B)
3 big onions
1 inch ginger
– Washed rice and drain well. Put it aside.
– Pour the corn oil and the planta (or butter) into the electric rice pot, then saute ingredients A. After a few minutes, add ingredients B. and the screwpine leaves. Stir well and fry for a few more minutes.
– Add the measured milk and water, salt and coriander leaves. Close the cooker and leave it to boil.
– Once it has started to boil, add the rice and the corn. Stir well and close the lid to leave it to cook.
– Once cook, can serve the rice with dishes such as tomato chicken and cucumber pickle etc.