Nasi Harisa aka Carrots rice. This easy to cook rice is one of our family favourite. The rice goes really well with Ayam Masak Merah (Spicy Red Chickens dish).
For this year’s Eid celebration, I cooked this rice together with Ayam Masak Merah Brunei (Brunei’s Spicy Red Chickens), Black Pepper Beef and Pineapple/Cucumber Salsa.
The recipe below is for 10 pax.
1kg basmati rice – (measure water to the level of the rice and add in 100 ml more)
3 large onions – sliced thinly
500 g of shredded carrots (I used about 3 carrots)
1 stick of cinnamon
4 star anise
salt to taste
Enough oil for sauteing
Blended ingredients A:
1 tsp fennel seeds
3 cm ginger
Blended ingredients B:
2-3 sprigs coriander stems/roots, washed, cleaned and blended with 5 green chillies
– Wash the rice clean. Drained and then mix with the shredded carrots. Put aside.
– I use rice cooker to cook the rice, so on the electronic rice cooker and pour a little oil (enough to saute the sliced onions).
– Once oil is hot, add the sliced onions and saute for a few minutes till onions are soft.
– Add in cinnamon stick, star anise, cardamoms and blended ingredients A. Stir well.
– Next add in blended ingredients B. Fry all these till fragrant (tumis hingga garing atau terbit minyak)
– Then add in water and salt. Close the lid to leave it to boil. Check on it after 5 mins or more.
– Once it has started to boil, add in rice & carrots mixture, stir and close the lid again.
– Let the rice cooker do the rest of the cooking.
– When the rice cooker is done, open the lid and sprinkle the fried shallots and coriander leaves on top. It’s now ready to be serve.