Cos I made only half a batch and my baking tin is slightly big so the depth of the cake falls short of the usual height. Still what matters is the taste … its sooo sedapp!! Definitely making again should I have enough dates 😉
Last Friday, 11th Dec 2015, I attended another of Ms Lauren Ho’s cooking demo workshop. This time she shared with us a few more recipes. One of the recipes was this Date and Walnut Cake recipe. I like this one the best cos I simply love dessert 🙂
Date and Walnut Cake
30 medium dates, pitted
1/2 cup water
1.5 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup canola or olive oil
1.5 cups low fat milk
110 g all purpose flour
110 g wholemeal flour (e.g. Atta flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
a pinch of salt
50 g walnuts, roughly chopped
– Preheat Airfryer or oven to 175 degree C.
– In a saucepan, heat the water and add the dates. Boil the dates till soft and mushy. Switch off the heat and add baking soda. Mix well and allow the mixture to cool.
– In a blender, add dates, oil and milk. Blend until well mixed.
– Pour the mixture into a big bowl, and add the flour, baking powder, spices, salt and chopped walnuts. Mix well.
– Pour mixture into baking tins that have been lightly oiled.
– Bake for about 30 mins or until golden brown. Insert a skewer into the center of the cake, and if it comes out clean with no streaks of batter, then its cooked. If slightly moist its okay (due to the dates)
– Cool the cake and it’s ready to be serve.