Today’s dinner is Chicken Tandoori.
This recipe is courtesy of Ms Lauren Ho, a Senior Dietitian. Organised by our staff welfare committee, she came to our campus on 22nd Sept 2015 to demonstrate how to cook healthy dishes such as Tandoori Chicken with Mint Yogurt Dip, Kidney Beans and Corns Salad & Apple Cinnamon Cigars.
She demonstrated the recipes using Airfryer (Philips brand). Since I do not (yet) own an Airfryer … hmm … perhaps I should hint more often to my family members about the airfryer 😉 I will definitely tell them they could generously present it to me as my next birthday gift 😛
Anyway, back to the topic, since I do not have an Airfryer, I decided to use the oven. It works but the cooking time differs slightly … using oven requires a bit more time.
1 whole chicken or 6 medium chicken drumsticks (skin and visible fats removed) – wash and drained.
1/2 cup low fat Greek yoghurt – (use greek yoghurt as it’s more thicker and has a higher protein level)
1 tsp ginger – grated
1 clove garlic – minced
1 tbsp onion – blended
1 tbsp chilli sauce or 2 tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp garam masala
1/4 tumeric powder
2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
1 tsp salt
Olive oil spray
– Slash the chicken flesh. Set aside.
– Mix all the marinade ingredients together. Rub the marinade all over the chickens and chill for at least an hour (best to marinade overnight)
– Preheat oven or airfryer to 200 degree C. for 5 mins.
– Place the chickens on the baking tray, spray some olive oil and let it cook for about 10 mins. Turn over the chickens and let it cook for another 8 mins or till cooked at 180 degree C.
– Cool and serve with the mint yogurt dip.
Note : I did not make the mint yogurt dip cos my kids do not fancy it but the recipe is below for those interested to try it out.
Mint Yogurt Dip:
1 cup mint leaves – finely chop
1/2 cup coriander leaves – finely chop
1 cup low fat Greek yoghurt
2 cloves garlic – minced
1 tbsp lemon or lime juice – Can even use a bit of the lemon rind to add to the dip
2 green chillies – finely chop
a pinch of salt
1/4 tbsp cumin powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all the ingredients together and it’s ready to serve.