An all time favourite rice of mine …. used to eat this Tomato Rice cooked by my late mother when I was a young kid …. and today finally had a chance to learn from my 3rd sister on how to cook it myself.
1kg basmati rice – washed and drain well.
1 can of evaporated milk – add water to it till measurement is the same level as the rice
3 large onions – sliced thinly
1 stick of cinnamon
4 star anise
salt to taste
3 tbsp of tomato puree
1 stalk of mint leaves – pluck only the leaves
1 stalk of coriander leaves – cut about 2 cm in length
3 screwpine leaves – tie into a knot
Enough oil for sauteing (I used 2 tbsp of ghee and 1 tbsp of cooking oil)
Blended ingredients :
2 tbsp of almond – grind with a bit of water, keep aside
3 onions, 6 garlics, 1 inch of ginger – grind together
– Wash the rice clean. Drained and put aside.
– I use rice cooker to cook the rice, so on the electronic rice cooker and pour the oil (enough to saute the sliced onions).
– Once oil is hot, add the sliced onions, screwpine leaves, coriander leaves, mint leaves and saute for a few minutes till onions are soft.
– Add in cinnamon stick, star anise, cardamoms and blended onions, garlic and ginger mix. Stir well.
– Add in the grinded almonds and tomato puree.
– Then add in water + milk and salt to taste. Close the lid to leave it to boil. – Once it has started to bubble, add in the rice. Mix well and close the lid to leave it to cook.
Once the rice is cook, it’s now ready to be serve 🙂