Jemput-jemput pisang (Banana fritters) …. another Malay kueh (Malay snacks) that are popular and evergreen within our community. The original recipe do not use bicarbonate of soda and vanilla essence but these I made included the two ingredients. A recipe that was shared by a friend of mine and the addition of these two ingredients made the fritters fluff up and enhance the taste slightly.
I like both versions so at times I would alternate using the two recipes.
1 bunch of ripe bananas (the riper the better)
150 gm sugar (or more depends on your preference)
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp bicarbonate soda (add into the flour)
400 gm plain flour sieved (use less if you like the texture softer)
1 egg (optional)
1 pinch of salt
Ice cream scoop (optional,, can always use other scoop)
– Mashed bananas.
– Add sugar and salt. Mix thoroughly.
– Add vanilla essence and egg. Mix thoroughly.
– Add flour bit by bit into the mixture till it reaches cake like batter consistency. Set aside for 15 mins.
– Heat oil in a wok or pot for deep frying.
– Scoop the batter using the scoop and fry at medium heat till it fluffs up and golden brown.
– Drain a paper towel and serve hot.